Introduction and Contents
I. BOOKS and COLLECTIONS by BERTRAND RUSSELL [cont.]
I.30. In Praise of Idleness and Other Essays (1935)
I. BOOKS and COLLECTIONS by BERTRAND RUSSELL [cont.]
I.30. In Praise of Idleness and Other Essays (1935)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1935. Preface by BR, 1935.
ii. Routledge,
1996. Introduction
by Howard Woodhouse, 1996.
iii. Routledge Classics, 2004.
Preface by Anthony Gottlieb, 2004. Introduction by Howard Woodhouse, 1996.
iv. Contents:
· In
Praise of Idleness
· 'Useless'
Knowledge
[1935]
· Architecture
and Social Questions
· The
Modern Midas
· The
Ancestry of Fascism [1935, III.2. & IV.10.]
· Scylla
and Charybdis, or Communism and Fascism
· The
Case for Socialism [1935, IV.21.]
· Western
Civilization [1935, IV.21.]
· On
Youthful Cynicism [III.2.]
· Modern
Homogenity [1930, III.2.]
· Men
versus Insects [????, I.60 & III.2.]
· Education
and Discipline
· Stoicism
and Mental Health [1929, II.49.]
· On
Comets [I.60.]
· What
is the Soul? [1929, II.48.]
I.31. Religion
and Science
(1935)
i. London : Thornton Butterworth, 1935.
ii. Oxford University Press, 1997. Introduction
by Michael Ruse.
iii. Contents:
· I.
Ground of Conflict
· II.
The Copernican Revolution
· III.
Evolution
· IV.
Demonology and Medicine
· V.
Soul and Body
· VI.
Determinism
· VII.
Mysticism
· VIII.
Cosmic Purpose [III.9.]
· IX.
Science and Ethics [III.10. & III.11.]
· X.
Conclusion
I.32. Which
Way to Peace?
(1936)
i. London :
Michael Joseph, 1936.
ii. Contents:
· 1.
The Imminent Danger of War
· 2.
The Nature of the Next War
· 3.
Isolationism
· 4.
Collective Security
· 5.
Alliances
· 6.
The Policy of Expedients
· 7.
Wars of Principle
· 8.
Pacifism as a National Policy
· 9.
Some Warlike Fallacies
· 10.
Conditions for Permanent Peace
· 11.
Peace and Current Politics
· 12.
Individual Pacifism
I.33. Power:
A New Social Analysis (1938)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1938.
ii. New York : W. W. Norton, 1938.
iii. Routledge,
1995. Introduction by Kirk
Willis, 1995.
iv. Routledge
Classics, 2004. Preface by Samuel Brittan, 2004. Introduction by Kirk Willis, 1995.
v. Contents:
· 01.
The Impulse to Power
· 02.
Leaders and Followers
· 03.
The Forms of Power
· 04.
Priestly Power
· 05.
Kingly Power
· 06.
Naked Power
· 07.
Revolutionary Power
· 08.
Economic Power
· 09.
Power over Opinion
· 10.
Creeds as Sources of Power
· 11.
The Biology of Organisations
· 12.
Power and Forms of Governments
· 13.
Organisations and the Individual
· 14.
Competition
· 15.
Power and Moral Codes [III.12. & III.12.]
· 16.
Power Philosophies
· 17.
The Ethics of Power
· 18.
The Taming of Power [III.4.]
I.34. An
Inquiry into Meaning and Truth (1940)
i. New York :
W.W. Norton, 1940. Preface by BR.
ii. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1940. Six impressions until 1961.
iii. Contents:
· Introduction
· I. What is a Word?
· II. Sentences, Syntax, and
Parts of Speech [III.4.]
· III. Sentences Describing
Experience
· IV. The Object-Language
· V. Logical Words
· VI. Proper Names
· VII. Egocentric Particulars
· VIII. Perception and
Knowledge
· IX. Epistemological
Premisses
· X.
Basic
Propositions
· XI. Factual Premisses
· XII. An Analysis of
Problems Concerning Propositions
· XIII. The Significance of
Sentences: A. General. B. Psychological. C. Syntactical.
· XIV.
Language as
Expression
· XV. What Sentences
“Indicate”
· XVI. Truth and Falsehood,
Preliminary Discussion
· XVII. Truth and Experience
· XVIII. General Beliefs
· XIX. Extensionality and
Atomicity
· XX. The Law of Excluded
Middle
· XXI. Truth and
Verification
· XXII. Significance and
Verification
· XXIII. Warranted
Assertibility
· XXIV. Analysis
· XXV. Language and
Metaphysics [III.4.]
I.35. The
Art of Philosophizing
(1942, 1968)
i. Girard ,
Kans. :
Haldeman-Julius Publications, 1942, as How to Become
Philosopher… Logician... Mathematician. The “How-To” Series Nos.
7, 8, 9. Edited by E. Haldeman-Julius.
ii. New York :
Philosophical Library, 1968.
iii. Littlefield
Adams, 1977.
iv. CPBR, vol. 10,
1996 (IV.10.).
v. Contents:
· The
Art of Rational Conjecture [1942, II.61.]
· The
Art of Drawing Inferences [1942, II.62.]
· The
Art of Reckoning [1942, II.63.]
I.36. A
History of Western Philosophy (1946)
i. New York :
Simon & Schuster, October 1945. Preface by BR. Mostly delivered as lectures at the Barnes Foundation,
1941-42.
ii. London : George Allen & Unwin, November 1946,
as History of Western Philosophy. Shortened
preface, many minor revisions of the text.
iii. London : George Allen & Unwin, 1961. 2nd
Brit. ed. Minor revisions and corrections, shortened chapter on Bergson.
iv. Routledge
Classics, 2010. Apparently reprint of the 1st Brit. ed. (ii).
v. Contents:
· Preface
· Introduction
BOOK ONE: Ancient Philosophy
PART I: The Pre-Socratics
· 1.
The Rise of Greek Civilisation
· 2.
The Milesian School
· 3.
Pythagoras
· 4.
Heraclitus
· 5.
Parmenides
· 6.
Empedocles
· 7.
Athens in
Relation to Culture
· 8.
Anaxagoras
· 9.
The Atomists
· 10.
Protagoras
PART II: Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle
· 11.
Socrates
· 12.
The Influence of Sparta
· 13.
The Sources of Plato's Opinions
· 14.
Plato's Utopia
· 15.
The Theory of Ideas
· 16.
Plato's Theory of Immortality
· 17.
Plato's Cosmogony
· 18.
Knowledge and Perception in Plato
· 19.
Aristotle's Metaphysics
· 20.
Aristotle's Ethics
· 21.
Aristotle's Politics
· 22.
Aristotle's Logic [III.4.]
· 23.
Aristotle's Physics
· 24.
Early Greek Mathematics and Astronomy
PART III: Ancient Philosophy after Aristotle
· 25.
The Hellenistic World
· 26.
Cynics and Sceptics
· 27.
The Epicureans
· 28.
Stoicism
· 29.
The Roman Empire in Relation to Culture
· 30.
Plotinus
BOOK TWO: Catholic Philosophy
· Introduction
PART I: The Fathers
· 1.
The Religious Development of the Jews
· 2.
Christianity During the First Four Centuries
· 3.
Three Doctors of the Church
· 4.
St Augustine 's
Philosophy and Theology
· 5.
The Fifth and Sixth Centuries
· 6.
St Benedict and Gregory the Great
PART II: The Schoolmen
· 7.
The Papacy in the Dark Ages
· 8.
John the Scot
· 9.
Ecclesiastical Reform in the Eleventh Century
· 10.
Mohammedan Culture and Philosophy
· 11.
The Twelfth Century
· 12.
The Thirteenth Century
· 13.
St Thomas Aquinas [III.4.]
· 14.
Franciscan Schoolmen
· 15.
The Eclipse of the Papacy
BOOK THREE: Modern Philosophy
PART I: From the Renaissance to Hume
· 1.
General Characteristics
· 2.
The Italian Renaissance
· 3.
Machiavelli
· 4.
Erasmus and More
· 5.
The Reformation and Counter-Reformation
· 6.
The Rise of Science
· 7.
Francis Bacon
· 8.
Hobbe's Leviathan
· 9.
Descartes
· 10.
Spinoza
· 11.
Leibniz
· 12.
Philosophical Liberalism
· 13.
Locke's Theory of Knowledge
· 14.
Locke's Political Philosophy
· 15.
Locke's Influence
· 16.
Berkeley
· 17.
Hume
PART II: From Rousseau to Present Day
· 18.
The Romantic Movement
· 19.
Rousseau
· 20.
Kant
· 21.
Currents of Thought in the Nineteenth Century [III.4.]
· 22.
Hegel
· 23.
Byron
· 24.
Schopenhauer
· 25.
Nietzsche
· 26.
The Utilitarians
· 27.
Karl Marx
· 28.
Bergson
· 29.
William James
· 30.
John Dewey [III.4.]
· 31.
The Philosophy of Logical Analysis [III.4.]
I.37. Human
Knowledge: Its Scope and Limits (1948)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1948. Preface by BR, 1948.
ii. New York : Simon & Schuster, 1948.
iii. Routledge
Classics, 2009.
Introduction by Kirk Willis, 1992.
iv. Contents:
· Introduction
PART I: The
World of Science
· 1. Individual and Social
Knowledge
· 2. The Universe of Astronomy
· 3. The World of Physics
· 4. Biological Evolution
· 5. The Biology of
Sensation and Volition
· 6. The Science of Mind
PART II:
Language
· 1. The Uses of Language
[III.4.]
· 2. Ostensive Definition
· 3. Proper Names
· 4. Egocentric Particulars
· 5. Suspended Reactions:
Knowledge and Belief
· 6. Sentences
· 7. External Reference of
Ideas and Beliefs
· 8. Truth: Elementary Forms
· 9.
Logical Words
and Falsehood
· 10. General Knowledge
· 11. Fact, Belief, Truth,
and Knowledge
PART III: Science and Perception
· Introduction
· 1. Knowledge of Facts and
Knowledge of Laws
· 2. Solipsism
· 3. Probable Inference in
Common-sense Practice
· 4. Physics and Experience
· 5. Time in Experience
· 6. Space in Psychology
· 7. Mind and Matter
PART IV:
Scientific Concepts
· 1. Interpretation
· 2. Minimum Vocabularies
· 3. Structure
· 4. Structure and Minimum
Vocabularies
· 5. Time, Public and
Private
· 6. Space in Classical
Physics
· 7. Space-Time
· 8. The Principle of
Individuation
· 9. Causal Laws
· 10. Space-Time and
Causality
PART V:
Probability
· Introduction
· 1. Kinds of Probability
· 2. Mathematical
Probability
· 3. The Finite-Frequency
Theory
· 4. The Mises-Reichenbach
Theory
· 5. Keynes’s Theory of
Probability
· 6. Degrees of Probability
· 7. Probability and
Induction
PART VI:
Postulates of Scientific Inference
· 1. Kinds of Knowledge
· 2. The Role of Induction
· 3. The Postulate of
Natural Kinds
· 4. Knowledge Transcending
Experience
· 5. Causal Lines
· 6. Structure and Causal
Laws
· 7. Interaction
· 8. Analogy
· 9. Summary of Postulates
· 10. The Limits of
Empiricism
I.38. Authority
and the Individual
(1949)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1949. Prefatory note by BR, 1949.
ii. New York :
Simon & Schuster, 1949.
iii. Routledge Classics, 2009.
Introduction by Kirk Willis, 1995.
iv. Contents:
· 1.
Social Cohesion and Human Nature
· 2.
Social Cohesion and Government
· 3.
The Role of Individuality
· 4.
The Conflict of Technique and Human Nature
· 5.
Control and Initiative: their Respective Spheres
· 6.
Individual and Social Ethics [III.4.]
I.39. Unpopular
Essays (1950)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1950. Preface by BR, 1950.
ii. New York : Simon & Schuster,
1950.
iii. Routledge, 1995.
Introduction by Kirk Willis, 1995.
iv. Routledge
Classics, 2004. Introduction
by Kirk Willis, 1995.
v. Contents:
· Philosophy
and Politics [1947, II.72.]
· Philosophy
for Laymen [1946, IV.11.]
· The
Future of Mankind [1948, IV.24.]
· Philosophy's
Ulterior Motives [1937, IV.10.]
· The
Superior Virtue of the Oppressed [1937,
IV.21.]
· On
Being Modern-minded [1937, IV.21.]
· An
Outline of Intellectual Rubbish [1943, II.65.]
· The
Functions of a Teacher [1940, II.60.]
· Ideas
that Have Helped Mankind [1946, II.68.]
· Ideas
that Have Harmed Mankind [1946, II.69.]
· Eminent
Men I Have Known [1944?, IV.24.]
· Obituary
(1937) [1937,
The Listener; I.58. & IV.21. as
“Auto-Obituary”]
I.40. The
Impact of Science on Society
(1951)
i. New York : Columbia University
Press, 1951. Prefatory note by BR.
ii. London : George Allen & Unwin, 1952. No
prefatory note by BR?
iii. New York : Simon & Schuster, 1953.
iv. New York : AMS, 1968.
v. Routledge, 2003.
vi. Contents
· I. Science and Tradition
· II. General Effects of
Scientific Technique
· III. Scientific Technique
in an Oligarchy
· IV. Democracy and
Scientific Technique
· V. Science and War
· VI. Science and Values
[III.4.]
· VII. Can a Scientific
Society Be Stable?
I.41. New
Hopes for a Changing World
(1951)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1951.
ii. New York : Simon & Schuster,
1951.
iii. Contents:
Part One: Man and Nature
· I. Current Perplexities
[III.4.]
· II. Three Kinds of
Conflict
· III. Mastery over Physical
Nature
· IV. The Limits of Human
Power
· V. Population
Part Two:
Man and Man
· VI. Social Units
· VII. The Size of Social
Units
· VIII. The Rule of Force
· IX. Law
· X. Conflicts of Manners of
Life
· XI. World Government
[III.4.]
· XII. Racial Antagonism
· XIII. Creeds and
Ideologies
· XIV. Economic Co-operation
and Competition
· XV. The Next Half-Century
[III.4.]
Part Three:
Man and Himself
· XVI. Ideas Which Have Become
Obsolete
· XVII. Fear
· XVIII. Fortitude
· XIX. Life Without Fear
[III.4.]
· XX. The Happy Man
· XXI. The Happy World
I.42. Satan
in the Suburbs and Other Stories (1953)
i. London :
Bodley Head, 1953.
ii. New York : Simon & Schuster, 1955.
iii. Contents
[I.58.]:
· Satan
in the Suburbs
· The
Corsican Ordeal of Miss X [1951]
· The
Infra-Redioscope [1953]
· The
Guardians of Parnassus
· Benefit
of Clergy [1953]
I.43. Human
Society in Ethics and Politics (1954)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1954. Preface by BR.
ii. Routledge
Classics, 2010.
Introduction by John G. Slater, 1992.
iii. Contents:
NB. Extract from the preface published
under the title “Reason: the slave of the passions”; extracts from other chapters
published as “A compromise solution?” [III.11.].
· Introduction
PART I:
Ethics
· 1. Sources of Ethical Beliefs
and Feelings [III.10.]
· 2. Moral Codes [III.10.]
· 3. Morality as a Means
· 4. Good and Bad
· 5. Partial and General
Goods
· 6. Moral Obligation
· 7. Sin [III.9.]
· 8. Ethical Controversy
· 9. Is There Ethical
Knowledge? [III.10.]
· 10. Authority in Ethics
· 11. Production and
Distribution
· 12. Superstitious Ethics
· 13. Ethical Sanctions
PART II: The
Conflict of Passions
· 1. From Ethics to Politics
· 2. Politically Important
Desires [II.82.]
· 3. Forethought and Skill
· 4. Myth and Magic
· 5. Cohesion and Rivalry
· 6. Scientific Technique
and the Future
· 7. Will Religious Fate
Cure Our Troubles?
· 8. Conquest?
· 9. Steps Towards a Stable
Peace
· 10. Prologue or Epilogue?
· Notes
I.44. Nightmares
of Eminent Persons, and Other Stories (1954)
i. London :
Bodley Head, 1954. Preface by BR.
ii. Contents
[I.58.]:
· The
Queen of Sheba 's
Nightmare: Put Not Thy Trust in Princes
· Mr
Bowdler's Nightmare: Family Bliss
· The
Psychoanalyst's Nightmare: Adjustment – A Fugue
· The
Metaphysician's Nightmare: Retro Me Satanas [III.4.]
· The
Existentialist's Nightmare: The Achievement of Existence
· The
Mathematician's Nightmare: The Vision of Professor Squarepunt
· Stalin's
Nightmare: Amor Vincit Omnia
· Eisenhower's
Nightmare: The McCarthy-Malenkov Pact
· Dean
Acheson's Nightmare: The Swan-Song of Menelaus S. Bloggs
· Dr
Southport Vulpes's Nightmare: The Victory of Mind over Matter
· Zahatopolk
· Faith
and Mountains
I.45. Logic
and Knowledge: Essays 1901-1950 (1956),
ed. Robert C. Marsh
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1956. Note by BR, 1956. Preface by the editor.
ii. Unwin Hyman, 1988, pb.
iii. Routledge, 1992.
iv. Spokesman, 2007.
v. Contents:
· The Logic of Relations
[1901, II.1.]
· On Denoting [1905, II.7.]
· Mathematical Logic as
Based on The Theory of Types [1908, II.15.]
· On the Relations of
Universals and Particulars [1911, II.21.]
· On the Nature of
Acquaintance [1914, II.29.]
· The Philosophy of Logical
Atomism [1918, II.32.]
· On Propositions: what they
are and how they mean [1919, II.33.]
· Logical Atomism [1924,
II.37.]
· On Order in Time [1936]
· Logical Positivism [1950]
I.46. Portraits
from Memory and Other Essays
(1956)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1956.
ii. New York :
Simon and Schuster, 1956.
iii. Spokesman,
1995.
iv. Contents:
· Adaptation:
an Autobiographical Epitome [III.4., excerpt; IV.27.]
Six Autobiographical Talks
· I.
Why I Took to Philosophy [III.4. & IV.11.]
· II.
Some Philosophical Contacts [IV.11.]
· III.
Experiences of a Pacifist in the First World War [1955, IV.28.]
· IV.
From Logic to Politics [1955, IV.28.]
· V.
Beliefs: Discarded and Retained [IV.11.]
· VI.
Hopes: Realised and Disappointed [1955, IV.28.]
· How
To Grow Old
· Reflections
on My Eighteenth Birthday
Portraits from Memory
· I.
Some Cambridge
Dons of the 'Nineties [1953, IV.27.]
· II.
Some of my Contemporaries in Cambridge
· III.
George Bernard Shaw [1953, IV.27.]
· IV.
H. G. Wells [1953, IV.27.]
· V.
Joseph Conrad [1953, IV.27.]
· VI.
George Santayana [1953, IV.11.]
· VII.
Alfred North Whitehead [1952, IV.11.]
· VIII.
Sidney and Beatrice Webb [1952, IV.27.]
· IX.
D. H. Lawrence [1952, IV.27.]
· Lord
John Russell
· John
Stuart Mill [1955, IV.11.]
· Mind
and Matter [1950, IV.11.]
· The
Cult of ''Common Usage''
· Knowledge
and Wisdom [1954, IV.11.]
· A
Philosophy for Our Time [1953, IV.11.]
· A
Plea for Clear Thinking [1947, IV.11.]
· History
as an Art [1954, II.84.]
· How
I Write [III.4. & IV.26.]
· The
Road to Happiness [1953, IV.26.]
· Symptoms
of Orwell's 1984 [1956. IV.29.]
· Why
I am not a Communist [III.4. & IV.29.]
· Man's
Peril [1954, II.85.]
· Step
towards Peace [1955, IV.11.]
I.47. Understanding
History and Other Essays
(1957)
i. New York :
Philosophical Library, 1957.
ii. Contents:
· How
to Read and Understand History [1943, II.64.]
· The
Value of Free Thought [1944, II.66.]
· Mentalism
vs. Materialism [1946, II.70.]
§
The Meaning of Matter
§
The Nature of “Mass”
§
Ups and Downs of the Atomic Theory
§
Quantum Theory
§
The Behavior of Matter in Bulk
§
Physics Is Still Deterministic
§
Psychology Also Has Changed
§
Life As It Appears in Biology
§
What We Mean By Habit
§
Habit Primarily Physical
§
Physical Causes of Introspection
§
The Physical and Mental Overlap
§
Definition of “Physical”
§
The Relations Between Mental and
Physical Events
§
The Question of “Materialism”
I.48. Why
I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects (1957), ed. Paul
Edwards
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1957. Preface by BR. Introduction and “Appendix: How
Bertrand Russell was Prevented from Teaching at the College of the City of New York ” by the editor.
Contains a debate with Father Coplestone but not “A Free Man’s Worship”
ii. New York :
Simon & Schuster, 1957. Omits the debate with Father Coplestone in favour of “A Free
Man’s Worship”.
iii. Routledge Classics, 2004.
Omits both “A Free Man’s Worship” and
“What I Believe”. Contains the debate with Father Coplestone. Preface by Simon
Blackburn.
iv. Contents:
· Why
I Am Not a Christian [1927, II.44.]
· Has
Religion Made Useful Contributions to Civilization? [1929, II.50.]
· What
I Believe [1925, II.43.]
· Do
We Survive Death? [1936, II.56.]
· Seems,
Madam? Nay, it is [1899, never published before.]
· A
Free Man's Worship [1st American ed. only; 1903, II.3.]
· On
Catholic and Protestant Skeptics [1928, II.45.]
· Life
in the Middle Ages [1925, II.42.]
· The
Fate of Thomas Paine [1934, II.53.]
· Nice
People [1931, II.52.]
· The
New Generation [1930, II.51.]
· Our
Sexual Ethics [1936, II.55.]
· Freedom
and the Colleges [1940, II.59.]
· The
Existence of God - a Debate with Father F. C. Copleston, SJ [1st British
ed. only; 1948, II.73.]
· Can
Religion Cure Our Troubles? [1954, II.83.]
· Religion
and Morals [1952, II.77.]
I.49. Common
Sense and Nuclear Warfare
(1959)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1959. Preface and Introduction by BR.
ii. New York : Simon & Schuster,
1959.
iii. Routledge
Classics, 2010. Foreword by Ken Coates, 2001.
iv. Contents:
· 1. If Brinkmanship
Continues
· 2. If Nuclear War Comes
· 3. Methods of Settling
Disputes in the Nuclear Age [III.4.]
· 4. Programme of Steps
towards Peace
· 5. New Outlook Needed
before Negotiations
· 6. Disarmament
· 7. Steps towards
Conciliation
· 8. Territorial Adjustments
· 9. Approach to an
International Authority
· 10. Some Necessary Changes
in Outlook
· Appendix I: Unilateral
Disarmament
· Appendix II:
Inconsistency?
· Notes
I.50. My
Philosophical Development
(1959)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1959. Prefatory Note by BR. “Russell’s Philosophy: a Study
of its Development “ by Alan Wood. Three impressions until 1969.
ii. New York : Simon & Schuster, 1959.
iii. Routledge, 1995.
Introduction by Thomas Baldwin
iv. Contents:
· 1.
Introductory Outline
· 2.
My Present View of the World
· 3.
First Efforts [III.9.]
· 4.
Excursion into Idealism
· 5.
Revolt into Pluralism
· 6.
Logical Technique in Mathematics
· 7.
Principia Mathematica: Philosophical
Aspects
· 8.
Principia Mathematica: Mathematical
Aspects
· 9.
The External World
· 10.
The Impact of Wittgenstein
· 11.
Theory of Knowledge
· 12.
Consciousness and Experience
· 13.
Language
· 14.
Universals and Particulars and Names
· 15.
The Definition of “Truth”
· 16.
Non-Demonstrative Inference [III.4.]
· 17.
The Retreat from Pythagoras
· 18.
Some Replies to Criticism
I.51. Wisdom
of the West
(1959)
i. London :
Macdonald, 1959, ed. Paul Foulkes. Designed by Edward Wright. With ten compositions by
John Piper. Subtitled “A Historical Survey of Western Philosophy and its social
and political setting”. Light, short and lavishly illustrated
version of I.36.
ii. Contents:
· Prologue
· Before Socrates
· Athens
· Hellenism
· Early Christianity
· Scholasticism
· Rise of Modern Philosophy
· British Empiricism
· Enlightenment and
Romanticism
· Utilitarianism and since
· Contemporary
· Epilogue
I.52. Fact
and Fiction
(1961)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1961.
ii. Routledge
Classics, 2010. Introduction by John G. Slater, 1994.
iii. Contents:
· Introduction
PART I: Books that Influenced Me in Youth
[1957, IV.29.]
· The
Importance of Shelley
· The
Romance of Revolt
· Revolt
in the Abstract
· Disgust
and its antidote
· An
Education in History
· The
Pursuit of Truth
PART II: Politics and Education
· What
is Freedom? [II.78]
· What
is Democracy? [II.79.]
· A
Scientist's Plea for Democracy
· The
Story of Colonization
· Pros
and Cons of Nationalism [1956, IV.29.]
· The
Reasoning of Europeans [1957, IV.29.]
· The
World I Should Like to Live in [1953, IV.27.]
· Old
and Young Cultures
· Education
for a Difficult World [1953, IV.27.]
· University
Education
PART III: Divertissements
· Cranks
[1959, I.58. & IV.29.]
· The
Right Will Prevail or The Road to Lhasa [I.58.]
· Newly
Discovered Maxims of La Rouchefoucauld [1959, I.58. & IV.30]
Nightmares
[I.58. & IV.30]
· The
Fisherman's Nightmare or 'Magna est Veritas'
· The
Theologian's Nightmare [III.8]
Dreams
[I.58.]
· Jowett
· God
· Henry
the Navigator
· Prince
Napoleon Louis
· The
Catalogue
Parables
· Planetary
Effulgence [I.58.
& IV.30.]
· The
Misfortune of Being Out of Date [I.58. & IV.30.]
· Murderers'
Fatherland
PART IV: Peace and War
· Psychology
and East-West Tension
· War
and Peace in My Lifetime [1959, IV.30.]
· The
Social Responsibilities of Scientists
· Three
Essentials for a Stable World [1952, IV.27.]
· Population
Pressure and War [1957, IV.29.]
· Vienna
Address [1958,
IV.30.]
· Manchester
Address [1959, IV.30.]
· What
Neutrals can do to Save the World
· The
Case for British Neutralism
· Can
War be Abolished?
· Human
Life is in Danger
I.53. Has
Man a Future?
(1961)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1961.
ii. New York : Simon & Schuster,
1962.
iii. Contents:
· I.
Prologue or Epilogue?
· II.
The Atom Bomb
· III.
The H-Bomb
· IV.
Liberty or Death?
· V.
Scientists and the H-Bomb
· VI.
Long-term Conditions of Human Survival
· VII.
Why World Government Is Disliked
· VIII.
First Steps Toward Secure Peace
· IX.
Disarmament
· X.
Territorial Problems
· XI.
A Stable World
I.54. Unarmed
Victory (1963)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1963.
ii. New York :
Simon & Schuster, 1963.
iii. Contents:
· 1.
The International Background
· 2.
The Cuban Crisis
a. The
Castro Regime and the U.S.A.
b. The
Days of Crisis
c. The
Settlement
·
3. The Sino-Indian Dispute
a. Outline of the Genesis of
the Dispute
b. The Dispute
c. The Aftermath
·
4. Lessons from the Two Crises
I.55. War
Crimes in Vietnam (1967)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1967. Appendix “Report from North Vietnam ” by
Ralph Schoenman.
ii. MR
Press, 2007.
iii. Contents:
· Introduction: Background
to the American Involvement
· 1. The Press and Vietnam2.
War and Atrocity in Vietnam
· 3. Free World Barbarism
· 4. Danger in South-East Asia
· 5. The Cold War: A New
Phase?
· 6. The Selection of
Targets in China
· 7. The Labour Party’s
Foreign Policy
· 8. Peace through
Resistance to American Imperialism
· 9. The Only Honourable
Policy
· 10. Broadcast on National
Liberation Front Radio to American Soldiers
· 11. Speech to the National
Conference of Solidarity
· 12. Appeal to the American
Conscience
· Postscript: The
International War Crimes Tribunal
I.56. The
Autobiography of Bertrand Russell (1967-69)
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1967-69. 3 vols.
ii. Routledge, 1975, 1
vol.
iii. Routledge
Classics, 2010. Introduction by Michael Foot, 1998.
iv. Contents:
1872 – 1914
· Prologue:
What I have Lived for
· 1.
Childhood
· 2.
Adolescence
· 3.
Cambridge
· 4.
Engagement
· 5.
First Marriage
· 6.
‘Principia Mathematica’
· 7.
Cambridge Again
1914 – 1944
· 8.
The First War
· 9.
Russia
· 10.
China
· 11.
Second Marriage
· 12.
Later Years of Telegraph House
· 13.
America .
1938–1944
1944 – 1967
· Preface
· 14.
Return to England
· 15.
At Home and Abroad
· 16. Trafalgar Square
· 17.
The Foundation
· Postscript
I.57. Dear
Bertrand Russell: A Selection of His Correspondence with the General Public
1950-1968 (1969),
ed. Barry Feinberg and George Kasrils
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1969. Preface by BR, 1969. Introduction and Biographical Notes
by the editors.
ii. Contents:
· I. Religion
· II. Peace and Politics
· III. Young and Old Age
· IV. Philosophy
· V. Anecdota
I.58. The
Collected Stories of Bertrand Russell (1972), ed. Barry Feinberg
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1972. Preface by the editor.
ii. Contents:
· Notes
for a speech to the Authors' Club [1953]
Part One: Longer Stories
· The
Perplexities of John Forstice
· Satan
in the Suburbs [1953, I.42.]
· Zahatopolk
[1954, I.44.]
· Faith
and Mountains [1954, I.44.]
Part Two: Short Stories
· The
Corsican Ordeal of Miss X [1951, I.42.]
· The
Infra-redioscope [1953, I.42.]
· The
Guardians of Parnassus [1953, I.42.]
· Benefit
of Clergy [1953, I. 42.]
· The
Right Will Prevail or The Road to Lhasa
[1961]
Part Three: Nightmares
· The
Queen of Sheba 's
Nightmare: Put Not Thy Trust in Princes [1954, I.44.]
· Mr
Bowdler's Nightmare: Family Bliss [1953, I.44.]
· The
Psychoanalyst's Nightmare: Adjustment – A Fugue [1954, I.44.]
· The
Metaphysician's Nightmare: Retro Me Satanas [1954, I.44.]
· The
Existentialist's Nightmare: The Achievement of Existence [1954, I.44.]
· The
Mathematician's Nightmare: The Vision of Professor Squarepunt [1954, I.44.]
· Stalin's
Nightmare: Amor Vincit Omnia [1954, I.44.]
· Eisenhower's
Nightmare: The McCarthy-Malenkov Pact [1954, I.44.]
· Dean
Acheson's Nightmare: The Swan-Song of Menelaus S. Bloggs [1954, I.44.]
· Dr
Southport Vulpes's Nightmare: The Victory of Mind over Matter [1954, I.44.]
· The
Fisherman's Nightmare: Magna Est Veritas [1961, I.52.]
· The
Theologian's Nightmare [1961, I.52.]
Part Four: Anecdotes
· Family,
Friends and Others
· Reading
History As It Is Never Written
Part Five: Medley
· Dreams
[1961, I.52.]
· Parables
[1961, I.52.]
· Cranks
[1956, I.52.]
· The
Boston Lady
· Children's
Stories
· Newly
Discovered Maxims of La Rochefoucauld [1959, I.52.]
· A
Liberal Decalogue [1951]
· 'G'
is for Gobbledegook [1953]
· The
Good Citizen's Alphabet and History of the World in Epitome [1962]
· Auto-Obituary
[1936]
I.59. Bertrand
Russell’s America :
His Transatlantic Travels and Writings (1973-83), ed. Barry
Feinberg and Ronald Kasrils
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1973. Vol. 1: 1896-1945.
ii. Boston : South End Press, 1983. Vol. 2:
1945-1970.
iii. Contents:
NB. Only Parts II of both volumes are
listed here because only they contain BR’s own writings. Parts I consist of a
documented account of his travels.
Volume 1
· President
Wilson's statement.
· America 's
entry into the war.
· Hopes
and fears as regards America .
· Impressions
of America .
· The
American intelligentsia.
· Is
America
becoming imperialistic?
· The
new philosophy of America .
· Optimistic
America .
· The
cinema as a moral influence.
· Homogeneous
America .
· Thirty
years from now.
· The
end of prohibition.
· On
equality.
· The
root causes of the depression.
· Can
the President succeed?
· On
states rights.
· Individual
freedom in England and America .
· The
American mind.
· America ;
the next world centre
· Democracy
and economics.
· The
case for U.S.
neutrality.
· Freedom
and the colleges.
· Education
in America .
· The
problem of minorities.
· Can
Americans and Britons be friends?
· British
and American nationalism.
· Some
impressions of America .
Volume 2
· What
America
could do with the atomic bomb.
· The
American mentality.
· Political
and cultural influence of the USA .
· Why
American is losing her allies?
· Are
these moral codes out of date?
· Democracy
& the teachers.
· The
American way (a Briton says) is dour.
· Foreword
to Freedom Is as Freedom Does
· Justice
or injustice.
· Thermonuclear
war: battle of the experts.
· The
imminent danger of nuclear war.
· The
myth of American freedom.
· War
and atrocity in Vietnam .
· Free
world barbarism.
· The
increase of American violence.
· The
negro rising.
· Peace
through resistance to U.S.
imperialism.
· Broadcast
on National Liberation Front Radio to American soldiers.
· Introduction
to pamphlet on black militancy.
· The
International War Crimes Tribunal & the nature of the war in Vietnam .
· The
entire American people are on trial.
I.60. Mortals
and Others: American Essays, 1931-1935 (1975-98),
ed. Harry Ruja
i. London :
George Allen & Unwin, 1975-98. 2 vols.
ii. Routledge
Classics, 2009, 1 vol.
iii. Contents:
· On
Jealousy
· Sex
and Happiness
· Tourists:
We Lose Our Charm Away From Home
· The
Menace of Old Age
· In
Praise of Artificiality
· Who
May Use Lipstick
· The
Lessons of Experience
· Hope
and Fear
· Are
Criminals Worse than Other People?
· The
Advantages of Cowardice
· The
Decay of Meditation
· Marriage
· On
Being Good
· Who
Gets Our Savings?
· Children
· On
Politicians
· Keeping
Pace?
· On
Snobbery
· Whose
Admiration Do You Desire?
· On
National Greatness
· Is
the World Going Mad?
· Are
We Too Passive?
· Why
We Enjoy Mishaps
· Does
Education Do Harm?
· Are
Men of Science Scientific?
· Flight
from Reality
· Illegal?
· On
Optimism
· As
Others See Us
· Taking
Long Views
· On
Mental Differences Between Boys and Girls
· On
the Fierceness of Vegetarians
· Furniture
and the Ego
· Why
Are We Discontended?
· On
Locomotion
· Of
Co-operation
· Our
Woman Haters
· The
Influence of Fathers
· On
Societies
· On
Being Edifying
· On
Sales Resistance
· Should
Children Be Happy?
· Dangers
of Feminism
· On
Expected Emotions
· On
Modern Uncertainty
· On
Imitating Heroes
· On
Vicarious Asceticism
· On
Labelling People
· On
Smiling
· Do
Governments Desire War?
· On
Corporal Punishment
· If
Animals Could Talk
· On
Insularity
· On
Astrologers
· On
Protecting Children from Reality
· The
Decay of Intellectual Standards
· Pride
in Illness
· On
Charity
· On
Reverence
· On
Proverbs
· On
Clothes
· Should
Socialists Smoke Good Cigars?
· A
Sense of Humour
· Love
and Money
· Interest
in Crime
· How
to Become a Man of Genius
· On
Old Friends
· Success
and Failure
· On
Feeling Ashamed
· On
Economic Security
· On
Tact
· Changing
Fashions in Reserve
· On
Honour
· The
Consolations of History
· Is
Progress Assured?
· Right
and Might
· Prosperity
and Public Expenditure
· Public
and Private Interests
· Christmas
at Sea
· How
People Economise
· Do
Dogs Think?
· How
People Take Failure
· On
Conceit
· On
Bores
· Politics
and Sport
· On
Reticence
· The
Good Old Days
· On
Becoming Civilised
· On
the Art of Persuading
· The
Prospects of Democracy
· The
Admiration of Strength
· The
Triumph of Stupidity
· On
Utilitarianism
· On
Race Hatred
· The
Spirit of Adventure
· What
Makes People Likeable
· On
Self-Righteousness
· Emotions
About Spending Money
· The
Origin of Victorian Virtue
· On
Propriety
· I
Escape from Progress
· Experts
and Oligarchs
· Fugitive
and Cloistered Virtue
· On
Being Ashamed of Virtue
· Men versus Insects
[I.30.]
· The
Paralysis of Statesmanship
· On
Orthodoxies
· Means
to Ends
· Individualist
Ethics
· The
Cult of the Individual
· On
Being Argumentative
· On
Mediaevalism
· In
Praise of Dullness
· The
End of Pioneering
· Combating
Cruelty
· Can
We Think Quickly Enough
· On
Discipline
· Expecting
the Millennium
· The
Churches and War
· On
Loving Our Neighbours
· On
Self-Control
· Respect
the Law
· On
Euthanasia
· On
Equality
· The
Father of the Family
· On
the Origins of Common Customs
· On
Transferring One's Anger
· On
Adult Education
· On
Curious Beliefs
· Competitive
Ethics
· Is
Anybody Normal ?
· Egoism
· Back
to Nature?
· Parental
Affection
· Benevolence
and Love of Power
· Irrational
Opinions
· Science
and Happiness
· Social
Sciences in Schools
· Race
and Nationality
· The
Problem of Leisure
· What
to Believe
· Instinct
in Human Beings
· Fashions
in Virtues
· On
Comets
· Fear
and Amusement
· On
Curious Learning
· On
Being Important
· Censoreship
by Progressives
· Protecting
the Ego
· Climate
and Saintliness
· Why
Travel?
· Obscure
Fame
· Insanity
and Insight
· On
Ceremony
· Love
of Money
· On
Specialising
· Good
Manners and Hypocrisy
· On
Being Insulting
· Vigorous
and Feeble Epochs
· The
Decrease of Knowledge
I.61. The
Selected Letters of Bertrand Russell: Vol. 1, The Private Years (1884-1914) (1992), ed.
Nicholas Griffin
i. Boston :
Houghton Mifflin, 1992. 240 letters.
ii. London : Routledge,
2002.
I.62. The
Selected Letters of Bertrand Russell: Vol. 2, The Public Years (1914-1970) (2001), ed. Nicholas Griffin
i. London :
Routledge, 2001. 338 letters.
I.63. Yours
Faithfully, Bertrand Russell: Letters to the Editor, 1904-1969 (2002), ed. Ray
Perkins, Jr.
No comments:
Post a Comment